In May I published the following as the content I intended to produce to finish the game. I’m a good way through this now, but need to start thinking about game balancing. Why?
In a recent play through I noticed the following:
- Stat increases were slow. Meaning in one play through the player could go through a lot of smut! (I probably need to double most scores)
- All missions were soon exhausted (leaving the player to mop up other scenes and unable to escape the planet)
- There were at points, too many options available to the player.
- The order of events was mixed up. This will impact some of the game endings I want available
- It allowed multiple return visits to ‘favourite’ locations. Some tracks could be wiped out
- The ship takes too long to be repaired (though this was a guess based on content amount and finding variables that will change the ending)
- In one playthrough you should not experience all the smut the game has to offer.
I want the player to have a lot of free choice, but I am minded to restrict some of that choice at the beginning. What I am thinking is that more locations will have to be found through exploring. The more important locations would come first, with a bit of randomness for the others.
I am tempted to create a ‘thoughts’ line as well. Celeste thinking about her ‘priorities’ both meeting objectives, and temptation.
Unlocked locations will appear in lists, like the ‘other locations list’ now. I will instead create three lists for Downtown, Space Quarter and Red-Light District which will contain all locations (some unlocked via exploring, others through actions).
Before I do anything, I’m going to finish off writing a number of loose ends. To be fair I always knew at some point I was going to have to re-arrange content.